proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 8 15:52:42 BST 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 4:25, Leo Savernik wrote:
> An example where scripting is inappropriate: default configuration of
> Kicker/Plasma. Currently, my kicker - containing a conservative amount of
> applets - takes about 30M of ram. If half of these applets were written in
> Python and a quarter in JavaScript, it'd take 100M of ram.

heh ... people keep assuming that the c++ applets in kicker are efficient and
tightly written. they aren't. particularly the clock which is a prime
candidate for replacement with a js driven solution.

and js is not really "an external scripting language". we have 2 of our own
implementations of it, one that (will) ships with Qt and one with kdelibs.

i do agree that having a python applet by default would be too heavy. that's
why python is not going to be the preferred language for writing these
things. but please don't freak out if/when a js applet makes it into svn and
even into the default layout. measure first, -then- freak out if the numbers
suck ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo