proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Sun Oct 8 11:25:08 BST 2006

Am Sonntag, 8. Oktober 2006 00:13 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> Or in other words, I think KDE should only require 1 non-C++ language
> (looks like Python?) to be installed.

Why should KDE require -- from the user's point of view -- any external
scripting language to be installed? A fully functional core distribution of
KDE should work out of the box without imposing additional dependencies on
the user. Otherwise, more and more core applications are going to be written
in scripting languages up to the point where the user can't escape the speed
and memory penalties caused by overzealous use of scripting. And scripting
*does* incur speed and memory overhead (prime example Mozilla/Firefox).

An example where scripting is inappropriate: default configuration of
Kicker/Plasma. Currently, my kicker - containing a conservative amount of
applets - takes about 30M of ram. If half of these applets were written in
Python and a quarter in JavaScript, it'd take 100M of ram.

An example where scripting is appropriate: full blown applications of
kdegames/kdeedu. A typical user won't need them for productivity.

Summarised: Having a binding to an external scripting language as a
first-class citizen in KDE: yes.
Forcing dependency on an external scripting language to have a usable desktop:
no.

mfg
	Leo