Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sat Oct 7 03:34:16 BST 2006

On Tuesday, 3. October 2006 20:30, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> If an application using one of KDE's bindings would be a nice addition to
> KDE Edu, can the KDE Edu maintainer import it into kdeedu?

Today: no.

In the future: yes.

The problem is that it would generate a dependency on  kdebindings3 or some
other bindings (PyKDE for example), which kdeedu currently doesn't have. it
would be a good idea to re-sort the inter-module dependencies so that this is
sanely possible. (right now kdebindings depends on a lot of other modules.).

Actually,  the biggest discussion seemed to have evolved around "which
language do we choose?" aka "does it have to be javascript?" - which
apparently some people favor.

for me, this is not the most critical question right now, but there is for
sure one language that beats all others due to non-technical reasons: python.
It has commercial support, a strong community and real life applications
build upon it (eric4, kumula, etc). I've not seen that so far for ruby or
javascript.

Anyhow, I would be more than happy about a KDE application written in java or
C# as well (which don't that high runtime overhead like python apps have).

Dirk