Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Oct 4 23:03:40 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 11:26:45 -0300, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:

> For educational applications Python or Ruby are probably better suited,
> I imagine.  But for the reasons explained above (and others) I believe
> forcing one scripting language standard of course is not going to work.
> No one has even talked about Lua in the thread for example, and it is
> practically the standard scripting tool used in the gaming industry.

You may need to remind me about Lua, as it's been a long time since I tried
it, but isn't it a non-object-oriented language that's designed to be used
for low-overhead scripting? It doesn't necessarily lend itself to the
creation of standalone applications, though I know that people have used
it for this:

  http://lua.riscos.org.uk/

> We should however make it clear that scripting should be used where it
> makes sense, as in the game engine scenario above, Krita plugins, etc.
> Writing a whole game in PyGame just because the developer does not know
> C++ does not qualify, imo.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that the game wouldn't necessarily
belong in kdegames.

David