RFC: API and code changes to KShortcut and KAction

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 19:03:17 GMT 2006

>Anyway, It could be usefull to keep this ability, which could be
usefull, specially in the future. Example, when mapping multimedia
keys, or infra-red device keys.
Agreed. My problem with the list was that the behavior of KShortcut
becomes harder to understand if you can play around with the internal
list. Also, you won't be able to convince everybody not to abuse the
list for things it was not intended for. People did this in some
existing code. Maybe more triggers _with names_ could be added to
KShortcut like "infraRedTrigger" or "auxTrigger(s)". That would make
it explicit and allow for more sensible handling of these triggers. If
I think about it, maybe these triggers should be added to directly to
KAction. Not sure.
You can still _read_ a list using KShortcut::getList() but you can't
write to a shortcut using list semantics.
Btw, remove() has list-like behavior because it moves alternate to
primary if you'd end up with an empty primary shortcut and a nonempty
alternate. I don't really know if this is good or bad :/

>It's true that KHotkeys is pretty difficult to use, and i'm sure that
people doesn't use mouse gesture because of that.
>I would even add voice trigger to this, but this will require an
integration with KHotkey daemon.
I hate KHotkey because IMHO you should not have to think at all to set
up some additional triggers for an action. KHotkeys tries hard to make
it as difficult as possible. And, frankly, Lubos' code in KHotkeys
makes me go "wtf?". I don't mean to offend anyone but please... I just
can't work with it.
Voice triggers, however, should probably rely on some some global
"daemon" to keep resource usage low (think of connections to the sound
device).

>Anyway, since mouse gesture is now in Qt (right?) that can be done more easily.
Mouse gestures are not in in Qt AFAIK but one of the trolltech guys
has coded a reusable gesture recognition "package" that I might use.
Maybe I am going to use it, maybe not. In any case, my version of
gesture recognition can be swapped out easily if it isn't good enough.
I'll be happy with whatever works best.
>I encourage you to continue :-)
Will do =)