secondary window titles

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Nov 22 10:31:27 GMT 2006

On Wed Nov 22 2006, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 10:56, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > KInstance::makeStdCaption(...). example patch is attached, even ;)
>
> with everyone arguing apparently nobody read the patch ;) i know this because
> there's a problem in that makeStdCaption doesn't know about the window it's
> captioning but nobody has said anything =P
>
> on X11 we have the KWin class which can tell us whether a window is a
> secondary window (KWin::transientFor). AFAICT we don't have something similar
> for windows or mac. so i'd like to suggest that we add such facility to
> kdelibs (windows, mac devs: can you provide implementations, please?).
>
> then we change
>
> QString KInstance::makeStdCaption( const QString &userCaption,
> CaptionFlags flags = HIGCompliantCaption )

> QString KInstance::makeStandardCaption( const QString &userCaption,
> CaptionFlags flags = HIGCompliantCaption, int WId = 0)
>
> and use WId (if non-zero) to check for transient/secondary status on non-X11
> platforms. then we change the uses of makeStandardCaption to use this.

Adding a non-portable handle to a portable handle seems wrong somehow,
but lacking a better plan I guess it will have to be that. Well, as "WId winid" to be portable, not int.
And then, I'm not even sure it can be defaulted to 0, since iirc WId is a pointer on Windows
(doesn't appear in my qwindowdefs.h though, must be defined in a qt-win-specific file).

Well, a better plan would be to use a QWidget* instead.

But both things require QtGui so maybe this shouldn't be in KInstance after all.