secondary window titles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 14 17:24:46 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 10:56, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> KInstance::makeStdCaption(...). example patch is attached, even ;)

with everyone arguing apparently nobody read the patch ;) i know this because
there's a problem in that makeStdCaption doesn't know about the window it's
captioning but nobody has said anything =P

on X11 we have the KWin class which can tell us whether a window is a
secondary window (KWin::transientFor). AFAICT we don't have something similar
for windows or mac. so i'd like to suggest that we add such facility to
kdelibs (windows, mac devs: can you provide implementations, please?).

then we change

QString KInstance::makeStdCaption( const QString &userCaption,
CaptionFlags flags = HIGCompliantCaption )

QString KInstance::makeStandardCaption( const QString &userCaption,
CaptionFlags flags = HIGCompliantCaption, int WId = 0)

and use WId (if non-zero) to check for transient/secondary status on non-X11
platforms. then we change the uses of makeStandardCaption to use this.

we would catch 90%+ of cases by simply changing kdialog.cpp:454.

in lxr i see a lot of people unecessarily using makeStdCaption with
KMessageBox, etc...

the changes to KInstance, KDialog and the KDE apps can be done before the
win/mac people getting their part of the work done.

anyone have an issue with this plan?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se