Okular moving

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at physik.tu-muenchen.de
Sat Nov 18 12:32:07 GMT 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 12:00, kde-core-devel-request at kde.org wrote:

> * splitting a PDF document along pages
> * merging/concatenating 2 or more PDF documents
> * delete pages from a PDF document
> * insert pages into a PDF document
> * re-ordering pages of a PDF document
> * rotating pages of a PDF document (I receive more

At our department at university most people use KDE and some even kpdf to view
pdf files. and I think the functionality mentioned above is very useful for
them. I think a lot of people in science not only open pdf files to read
them, but want to do certain modifications before they print or save the pdf.
I think another useful ability is to select parts of the pdf and save them to
a file. For example I often needed some graphs from some paper for a talk. In
kpdf it is only possible to select a graph and copy it to the clipboard. If
you could really extract parts of the pdf and save it as pdf or ps, it would
be much more convienient (but I don't even know if this is possible with e.g.
poppler).

And on a more personal note: there are very nice D&D character sheets by mad
irishman (http://www.unc.edu/~murphy/mad_irishman/). Some of them are pdf
formulars and it would be great if you could fill them out and save them:-)
With kpdf you cannot fill them out at all. With acroread you can fill them
out and print them, but you cannot save them. You also cannot print them to a
file. When printing to a pdf, you only see the stuff you typed in (probably
because it has multiple layers and the layers are not transparent). When
printing to ps, ghostscript gives an error message. O.K., I know not
everybody plays role-playing games, but I think such functionality could be
interesting for other people as well:-) And I don't consider stuff like this
as editing.

Greetings,
Michael