Okular moving

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Fri Nov 17 17:01:35 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 05:36:23PM +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 14:19, mETz wrote:
Hi,

> > Maybe allow copying text/images to clipboard but that's
> > about it. If I want to crop/rotate/rearrange some document then I want
> > to _edit_ it and not _view_ it (and for editing I use gimp, openoffice,
> > kate and kile)
>
> Right. The problem is: none of the applications you mention can edit
> *PDF* documents. And PDF is one of the core formats handled by these
> applications we discuss in this threat.
Well, kviewshell can't _edit_ PDF either, it uses some external
libraries to do a subset of possible tasks.

If you want a _real_ editor you need an abstract document layout which
is loaded by the PDF parser and can be written back to file by a PDF
writer (neither the abstract document format nor the PDF writer exists
for Linux yet).

Poppler/Xpdf is a nice attempt but it was designed as a viewer not as
editor -> refactoring it into an editor is a PITA.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!