Okular moving

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Nov 16 19:47:56 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 10:16, Stefan Kebekus wrote:
> as far as I see, there are substantial differences in Ligature and oKular
> when it comes to DVI and PDF files. I feel that these are quite important
> for a number of people.

In KDE4 the concept of user-comes-first should be the first and foremost
design goal.
This means that choosing who you create the software for and the usecases that
those users will meet is where I see the biggest value of finding out if the
functionalities of the apps overlap.
Afterall, just looking at a feature list is shortsighted and does not describe
an application very well.
Looking at the goals of an application and the core user that is targetted by
the application instead, will tell you that.

A huge portion of the features you listed in your email seem out of place for
either app. As Tobias also pointed out.

I suggest that the app-maintainers sketch a profile (personas + goals) of
their app and see where the two apps overlap.

With the friendly suggestion that the maintainers should work hard to make
those overlapping areas share code to the max.

The TWG can then decide which application is most mature (not just codewise)
and is most in line with the userbase of KDE as a whole.
--
Thomas Zander