Okular moving

Wilfried Huss Wilfried.Huss at gmx.at
Tue Nov 14 10:20:53 GMT 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:24:19 +0100
Von: Pino Toscano <toscano.pino at tiscali.it>
An: kde-core-devel at kde.org
Betreff: Re: Okular moving

> Alle 08:14, martedì 14 novembre 2006, Wilfried Huss ha scritto:
> we
> > >
> > > ah, didn't see it in my list of supported files in okular, though
> > > ligature shows it in its list. (both compiled from source of course =)
> >
> > You need the development headers of DjVulibre for the DjVu support of
> > Okular.
>
> Wrong. You need just the latest stable, that is DjVuLibre 3.5.17. And many
> distros already package it.

Yes just like I said, you need a package like libdjvulibre-dev installed,
which contains the development headers.

> > Ligature has a copy of DjVulibre in its codebase
>
> Didn't we say that interal copies of 3rd part libraries are a no-no?
> (think
> about the xpdf sources in kpdf...)

It is of couse not optimal.

> > because the
> > external API of DjVulibre is very limited and also in C while the actual
> > code is C++.
>
> Then I should be a magician, as I managed to handle it almost decently?

When I added DjVu support (May 2005) this API was basically none existing.
The situation has improved a little bit since than, but still today the
external API doesn't support all the features Ligature supports for DjVu
files.

There is a reason why all of the Windows based DjVu-Viewers, and also
most of the tools included in Djvulibre including the official DjVu-Viewer
(djview), do not use the external API.

Greetings,
Wilfried Huss.