KDE4 under MacOsX and Windows

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Fri Nov 10 18:38:42 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 17:47, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > Dot! Dot! Dot!
> >
> > Yeah. And I suggest to show uninformed readers a bit of history as
> > well:
>
> let's do so with a clear set of messages as to what the purpose is and
> why. this is not necessarily a conversation to litter k-c-d with, but the
> thread is already here, so ... bah. =)
>
> when this is announced there will be a significant number of people who
> will feel that this is a loss of focus on free software and puts KDE at
> long-term risk.
>
> and if done without direction or purpose, i'd agree with that viewpoint.
> so let's please move ahead with both direction and purpose.
>
> to that end here are some thoughts as to what such a direction and
> purpose might look like and which would further the goals of KDE,
> particularly:
>
>  - to increase usage of KDE software
>  - to foster support for Free software
>
> and without
>
>  - leaving behind our long term partners in the Linux and BSD world
>  - disenfranchising those who are here for the benefits of Free software
>  - betraying our efforts on the workspace or foundation libraries
>
> i will save everyone the long diatribe into why these are important
> things (at least, to me ;) and just use them as axioms for now. if you
> wish to discuss the philosophy, let's do so off this list so as to avoid
> a stupidly long thread full of noise. =)
> [...]
> *shrug* any suggestions?

add a link to how to build kdelibs on windows (e.g. www.kdelibs.com), maybe
there are some people who try it out immediately and become contributors.

I agree with what you write. To bring all of that under one hat is maybe not
that easy, as the focus seems to shift to platform independence and free
software in general :) If done right, this is a nice story =)

Dominik