KProcess bug or something wrong in kdevelop?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Nov 9 15:22:25 GMT 2006

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>Huh? ok, I'll elaborate a bit. We're in kdevelop. I open a qmake based
>project, which tells the QMake manager to open the top-level .pro file
>and parse it. After the parsing I need to do some initilazing and read
>referenced .pro files. This also means I have to evaluate the variables
>that exist. Now here's where I need the output from that qmake run,
>because that's the only way to get the "default values" of some
>variables, like CONFIG or QT properly. All this loading/initializing is
>done synchronously, i.e. it starts in an openProject function which then
>calls another function and so on. Right after the initializing is done I
>create a gui element from the data to represent the top-level .pro file.
>In turn this creates all children and so on.
>
>I really see no way to run qmake as separate process without blocking.

I do. Run it synchronously without blocking. At least the UI won't freeze.
You should start the process asynchronously and wait for a signal that
indicates it has finished running. Only then should you parse the
generated files and call openProject.

>> anyway, you could start a local event loop with everything but socket
>> notifiers excluded.
>
>I guess QDialog does this? Or is there a better example how I would do
>that in KDE code?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358