[3.5 branch] need help with XDG menu implementation problem

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Tue Nov 7 22:57:39 GMT 2006

>On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:42, David Faure wrote:
and so

GNOME,
>KDE
>> >
>> > Attached is a patch which could solve this, however I am not sure
this
>is
>> > the correct part of the code to implement it.
>>
>> I think only Waldo knows this code.

Patch from your previous mail looks acceptable to me.

>Thank you David:
>Since this also applies to trunk, should I create a bug report for it?
>
>Waldo: this is related to the kde-applications-merged problem we have
>handle with a  workaround in xdg-utils. My motivation was to have this
>fixed before the upcoming Debian release.
>
>The XDG_MENU_PREFIX variable could be a more recent addition, which
might
>be the reason why it isn't supported yet.

It has (recently) been added to the spec after distro's discovered they
didn't want to share applications.menu between different desktops and
started adding patches to that affect.

>The problem is that distributors likely want to have separate menus for
KDE
>and GNOME thus might not be able to use a shared applications.menu file
>The previous "solution" the Debian packagers applied was to prefix
>everything
>(including the applications-merged directory) with "kde-", however the
menu
>spec says that applications-merged has to be used even in situations
with
>two DEs in order to have a certain directory for third party menus.

Yes, by using different "-merged" directories you make it impossible for
third party software developers to create new submenus in a
desktop-independent way.

Cheers,
Waldo