[3.5 branch] need help with XDG menu implementation problem

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 7 22:01:35 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 22:42, David Faure wrote:
> On Tue Nov 7 2006, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 November 2006 14:44, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > By also looking at an strace of kbuildsycoca I gather that "baseName"
> > > is at one time "kde-applications" (from kde-applications.menu) and so
> > > kbuildsycoca looks at a directory which doesn't exist.
> > >
> > > According to the menu spec there is an environment variable called
> > > XDG_MENU_PREFIX which is supposed to be used in cases where GNOME, KDE
> > > and others need different menus.
> >
> > Attached is a patch which could solve this, however I am not sure this is
> > the correct part of the code to implement it.
>
> I think only Waldo knows this code.

Thank you David:
Since this also applies to trunk, should I create a bug report for it?

Waldo: this is related to the kde-applications-merged problem we have to
handle with a  workaround in xdg-utils. My motivation was to have this fixed
before the upcoming Debian release.

The XDG_MENU_PREFIX variable could be a more recent addition, which might be
the reason why it isn't supported yet.

The problem is that distributors likely want to have separate menus for KDE
and GNOME thus might not be able to use a shared applications.menu file
The previous "solution" the Debian packagers applied was to prefix everything
(including the applications-merged directory) with "kde-", however the menu
spec says that applications-merged has to be used even in situations with two
DEs in order to have a certain directory for third party menus.

No idea how other distributions handle this, maybe there is already a patch
for this.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring