International Fontdialog

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Nov 7 09:05:08 GMT 2006

At aKademy this year we already had various KDE contributors from the
far-east and I think we agree that KDE should take off there as well.

One point where our kdelibs component is very much biased towards the
latin script is the font dialog. I did quite some work on it in the
kde3.0 time, but I doubt a lot has happened since.

A small selection of the problems include that the name rendered is
always latin1, which is not usefull for fonts that are mainly for
non-latin1 audiences.
Also we assume one set of characters and provide no easy way to find out
if a certain font has support for a certain language.
Last, fonts can host a lot more then just plain glyps (~ =characters)
with special features that are required for Hebrew and various other
languages.

I'd like to know if there is someone that is able to get started on
enhancing the widgets we have now. I talked to Ed Trager when I went to
the Text Layout summit in Boston some weeks ago and he put his research
into such a dialog online.
Please look at:
http://unifont.org/fontdialog/

One (of many) example screenshot:
http://unifont.org/fontdialog/images/FontDialogMockup.png

Anyone already having plans to work on the font dialog?
Anyone interrested?
Please contact me for any (domain) questions.
--
Thomas Zander