KMessage/KMessageHandler: a core/ui seperation for displaying message.

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sun May 28 19:35:21 BST 2006

Le Dimanche 28 Mai 2006 20:00, Leo Savernik a écrit :
> Am Sonntag, 28. Mai 2006 19:06 schrieb Michaël Larouche:
> [...]
>
> > So I've made the required classes to separate the message display.
> >
> > kdecore: KMessage and KMessageHandler
> > KMessage is the "frontend" API static class developers use the display a
> > message. You must supply a KMessageHandler to work properly.
> >
> > KMessageHandler is the abstract class for the message handle.
> >
> > kdeui: KMessageBoxMessageHandler and KPassivePopupMessageHandler
> > Those are obvious, there are KMessageHandler implementation that
> > developers can use right away.
>
> [...]
>
> That's way cool!
>
> I'd like to make some suggestions wrt default settings.
> - KMessageBoxMessageHandler should be set by default in KApplication such
> that GUI-applications work "as expected".

I'd add that K*MessageHandler should not even be public API

maybe
KGlobal::setDefaultMessageHandler( enum{ StdErr, MessageBox, PassivePopup } )
or something similair

> - The default handler should write to stderr, not to stdout. Otherwise,
> implementing filters becomes more difficult than necessary.

- Another feature that can be usefull (specially for information message box)
is the "don't show again"

- using queued message box instead would be nice.

--
Olivier