Better tablet-pc support in kde-4

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed May 24 07:46:58 BST 2006

Hi David,

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 04:57, David Nolden wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm thinking about what would be necessary to make using a tablet-pc with
> kde more comfortable, and many things come in mind.
>
> I'm thinking about writing an applet to simplify navigation using the pen,
> and maybe make it somehow possible to use pen-input for authentication in
> kdesu and kwallet(by signature-recognition).

Sounds good if you can make it work.

> But except those, there's also a few things that have to do with the
> kde-core and would help a lot:
>
> 1. It should be possible to move the vertical scrollbar to the left
> side(for left-handed tablet-users). I know there's already a switch to put
> everything to the other side, so adding support for that should not be hard
> to implement.

Possibly using QWidget::setLayoutDirection() on the scroll area alone might
work?

> 2. It should be possible to move the menu and the toolbars to the bottom of
> the window.

Menu would need support in QMainWindow iiuc.

Toolbars are already configurable by the user.

BTW, I wrote a control panel module for configuring and calibrating Wacom
tablets, although the config api back then wasn't really good enough for me
to release a decent version.  I read that things were changing in the api
area recently.  Anyway, the code is here:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdenonbeta/xinput/.  This could be extended to
other tablets too...

Cheers,
Hamish.