core/ui separation

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Fri May 19 12:42:42 BST 2006

Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 11:05 schrieb David Faure:
> On Friday 19 May 2006 10:29, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 18. Mai 2006 13:09 schrieb David Faure:
> > > - overwrite/rename/skip dialog boxes; used to be in kio_uiserver and
> > > then I moved them back to kio, since modal dialogs in kio_uiserver were
> > > a bad idea, apps using uiserver would be blocked until the modal dialog
> > > is closed.
> >
> > This shouts "Threads" to me :)
>
> Then I suggest re-reading the Qt documentation about threads.
> The problem here is showing two modal dialogs from two apps into the same
> "server app" (uiserver), and threads don't let you do that since you can't
> do anything GUI-related in other threads than the main thread.

You don't want two modal dialogs in a desktop anyway as they give very bad
user experience. So queing _them_ would be fine for me, but of course it's
unacceptable to stall progress displays while a modal dialog is open.

I see another problem with such "out of process" dialogs though and that is
dualhead. Everywhere where we use that, it's causing problems: e.g. cookie
dialogs appear on wrong desktop/screen.

Greetings, Stephan