core/ui separation

Carsten Pfeiffer carsten.pfeiffer at first.fraunhofer.de
Thu May 18 10:55:00 BST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 11:19, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > > because even now the non-GUI code is not GUI free as there are
> > > KMessageBox uses when errors occur. And of course it's GUI dependent as
> > > it uses KIO.
[...]
> But if your core has MessageBoxes, you screwed it anyway :)

The UI is also screwed, if the core already does the error handling and
doesn't tell the UI about it.

What about throwing exceptions and letting the UI show the messageboxes? :-]

Or, if we don't want to use exceptions, have some other means of error
propagation, like an abstract ErrorHandler being passed around. That would
get ugly, though.

As a last resort, KNotify could be used for displaying errors. Or did
KNotifyClient (or whatever it's called right now) end up in kdeui by now?

Cheers,
Carsten