RFC: kservice -> kdecore?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 17 23:53:08 BST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 16:46, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 00:25, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi....
> >
> > for kconfig having multiple backends, it makes the most sense to allow
> > people to provide backends as plugins. the "natural" way of doing this is
> > to query ksycoca for KService's that match, for instance,
> > "KConfigBackend" as their type.
>
> Yes. It would be good if the default backend wasn't loaded as plugin
> though, for speed, but also since KTrader initialization uses kconfig to
> load the user preferences....

yes. the INI backend has to be compiled in by default. it makes no sense to
have it as a plugin since it is always used to do things like parse kderc for
KDEDIRS.

just things like the ldb and elektra backends would be plugins.

> > b) move the essential KService stuff into kdecore alongside KSycoca*
>
> Yes.

w00t!

> This idea matches the idea I had, I was planning to
> KService+KServiceFactory+KServiceType+KServiceTypeFactory+KTrader
> to kdecore, since we will also need it for spell-checking backends.

ok. good to know that i was barking up the right tree then.

> (My idea was to move KMimeType too, I even started some cleanups for that
> like the deprecating of QPixmap methods and the separation of
> KDEDesktopMimeType, but maybe we can avoid moving kmimetype until the need
> arises).
>
> I'll have a look at separating out KMimeTypeFactory tomorrow if you want.

that would be brilliant. ping me on irc?

--
Aaron J. Seigo