Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue May 16 12:14:21 BST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 13:02, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> [Joining late -- there has been too much beer in my life recently]
>
> On Friday 12 May 2006 10:12, David Faure wrote:

> > > Why no put it in apps/konqueror  then ?
> >
> > If you still want icons on your desktop, you need kdesktop to keep using
> > libkonq; but as coolo says it could move to kdelibs. For sure it can't move
> > to apps/konqueror though.
>
> IIRC kdesktop uses libkonq only because of the icon view class in libkonq.
> However, the libkonq icon view is designed around *rectangular* windows,
> which doesn't necessarily apply to KDesktop (think Xinerama). In the work
> branch where I was messing with Xinerama I was working on dropping libkonq,
> since it's just not going to work.

I guess you mean dropping the use of KonqIconViewWidget from kdesktop
(no objections there, although somehow you would still have needed one or
more kiconviews, no?)

But surely you still needed other things from libkonq: KFileIVI, KonqDrag,
KonqPopupMenu and KNewMenu, KonqOperations, KonqUndo...
In lay man terms: file management operations and popupmenu.

But now that there are even popupmenu plugins, moving some of those classes
to kdelibs might make sense indeed. Some konq-specific code in konqpopupmenu
would have to be moved out though. We'll see when working on konq4.