KDE and Wikipedia

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 14 00:55:55 BST 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 11:22, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Anyone from the TWG could "press" them a bit? Maybe even threatening them a
> saying that if they do not fullfil their promises we will issue a
> comunicate explaining why that announced collaboration failed.

they never got around to adding the needed web service APIs. like you i was
concerned about the lack of progress on the matter and so when the
opportunity present itself, i talked with the main wikimedia foundation
developer about it at SCALE in los angeles in january.

turns out he was sceptical at best about the need for these services. we had a
very good and long talk about it and he seemed to come around. i followed up
by email when i got back home and was informed a few weeks later that the web
service APIs are actually on their development roadmap now.

due to this, the offline reader is apparently back on the table now with
support from various european wikimedia related groups forming up. danimo can
speak more to this as he knows more about this set of developments than i do.

so i'm not sure it's time to press them. perhaps those closest to the project
(e.g danimo) could fill us in via his blog or whatever and we can support
wikimedia's efforts in adding these webservice APIs with a supportive email.

--
Aaron J. Seigo