Helping with KDE4 (valgrind)

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu May 11 09:58:36 BST 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 10:02, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 11:46:33PM +0200, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 May 2006 23:37, John Tapsell wrote:
> > > Instead of reading from /proc, is there a better, faster way of
> > > getting information about processes?
> >
> > kvm(3)? Perhaps you mean "a more *portable* way", since reading /proc is
> > awful. What we really need is a library that abstracts this stuff away --
> > ISTR a discussion about it last year, and Seb is asking me the same
> > question in comments on my blog (for SK, presumably).
>
> Please be aware that the information is collected by ksysguardd, which
> is a small application written in plain C to allow easy porting and
> increase the acceptance of sysadmins. I really doubt that a sysadmin
> will install an application which links agains kdelibs just to use solid
> for retrieving system information...

Um, you're missing the point: KDE applications need system information; they
need it on whatever system they are running on (even Solaris); instead of
cluttering each app with #ifdefs, we need a library (in plain C) that
presents *one* interface so that apps can get what they need. For app, read
solid (I think) as well. Number of CPUs, memory stats, load averages, etc ..
alol are commonly needed and all are implemented inconsistently in
applications right now since we *don't* have a single interface to work with.

kvm(3), btw, is a Solaris and BSD library for accessing things in kernel
memory like kvm_getprocesses() (paraphrase).

--
Adriaan de Groot
  KDE Quality Team