Helping with KDE4 (valgrind)

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Mon May 8 19:13:08 BST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 19:54, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
>   This is great timing!  ksysguard (the process viewer thing)
> communicates to ksysguardd.  I would love to know if communicating via
> pipes (serialising/sending/recieving/deserialising) etc is slow, or
> whether I should code some kind of faster track for the common case of
> watching the local machine.

Depends on what you're sending. Pipes are very fast (this from reading a
design doc on jackit, where the author was explaining the various IPC means
available, pipes, sockets, etc...), and I doubt that ksysguard requires a
voluminous set of data.

However, if ksysguardd is basically maintaining a fixed-size data struct
describing the state of the machine and sending that, then you can do
something like what we do with RG to communicate between the GUI and the
sequencer process : both processes mmap() a file containing that struct, and
you get instant communication between both.

The downside is that it forces you to implement a wholly different
communication scheme for the local case. That said, is ksysguard really
useful for the local case ? There are plenty of other much lighter
alternatives to monitor the state of your machine.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org