proposal for kaction api change

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri May 5 17:25:25 BST 2006

Hello,

On Friday 05 May 2006 16:29, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > The CustomShortcut is now null, and so the program reverts to the
> > "default" shortcut that was defined in the init code ("Ctrl+N").
>
> This I again disagree with for the reason above.  You should have to set
> the CustomShortcut to the same as the default shortcut, otherwise you could
> not disable the default shortcut.

I think you still have the point of view where CustomShortcut is always the
one that is actually used, and it's just a question of whether or not it
matches the Default.  I am proposing a shift in the way shortcuts are handled
internally, such that the Default shortcut is the one that is actually
used...by default.  The Custom one is only used when it is defined.  This is
more consistent with what the words "Default" and "Custom" actually mean.

What exactly do you mean by "disable the default shortcut"?  In my imagined
scheme, the Default is always there, it is simply overridden if a Custom
shortcut has been defined, and when the Custom is undefined (i.e., set to
null), the shortcut reverts to the default.  What is the use case for needing
to "disable" the default in some other way?

Jason