KDB / KDEDB

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Mar 31 10:18:07 BST 2006

Thiago Macieira said the following, On 2006-03-31 11:03:

> Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>>>For each one of those above, I'd like to know:
>>>0) is it really a needed feature for the KDE 4 Core Libraries?
>>
>>For developers this could be alongside the KIO.
>>

>>>1) who could we list as the main contact (someone to update us on the
>>>progress, etc.)?
>>
>>I am maintaining the stuff.
>>

>>>2) how far along is it?
>>
>>Port to Qt4 started last week. Another refactoring is in the way.
>>

>>>3) how long should it take to complete?
>>
>>In worst case the library can be ready for KDE4.1.
>>

>>>4) what other features not currently done it depends on?
>>
>>None; it's pretty self-contained. Dependencies on other KDE facilities
>>like KAB can be implemented in a form of plugins.
>

> Not denying it would be a killer feature, but this sounds to me like a
> good idea for KDE 4.1. Right now, not many of our apps require databases,
> so I wouldn't put it on the critical path for KDE 4.0.
>
> Do you agree?

Sure, and not just because many apps do not need a db backend (e.g. entire
Kontact may need it). I am comfortable with KDB in 4.1, as this gives us more
time for development and listening to what are others' needs.

I'd only ask to _officially_ mark the module (by TWG?) as something "in
develoment", otherwise all these external "KDE4 reviews" will miss the feature
- bad from marketing POV. Feel free to ask me for more human-redible info.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska