KDB / KDEDB (was: KDE 4 Core Libraries major features)

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Fri Mar 31 09:38:48 BST 2006

Thiago Macieira said the following, On 2006-03-30 20:17:

> I have gone through the suggestions posted on the "KDE4 Development
> Critical Path" thread and collected them all here. The features are
> listed below:
>
> - Build System
> - Getting rid of Qt3Support
> - Phonon
> - Solid
> - D-Bus
> - KConfig backends
> - XMLGUI upgrade
> - KHTML & friends (WebKit, KDOM/KHTML2/KSVG2)
> - Akonadi

A rich database (not only SQL) layer:
KDB / KDEDB (curently KexiDB, no codename yet - proposals?)
Even if it's not a dream for home user, it's a must for vertical apps in the
enterprise.
I am not sure it can be marked as critical - since most of this can work as a
service (a set of plugin interfaces) for hosting apps, it can be considered as
an addition.
Current API docs:
http://www.kexi-project.org/docs/svn-api/html/namespaceKexiDB.html
http://www.kexi-project.org/docs/svn-api/html/namespaceKexiMigration.html

> For each one of those above, I'd like to know:
> 0) is it really a needed feature for the KDE 4 Core Libraries?

For developers this could be alongside the KIO.

> 1) who could we list as the main contact (someone to update us on the
> progress, etc.)?

I am maintaining the stuff.

> 2) how far along is it?

Port to Qt4 started last week. Another refactoring is in the way.

> 3) how long should it take to complete?

In worst case the library can be ready for KDE4.1.

> 4) what other features not currently done it depends on?

None; it's pretty self-contained. Dependencies on other KDE facilities like
KAB can be implemented in a form of plugins.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska