Discontinuing kcmwifi for wpa_supplicant, what about knetworkmanager?

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Thu Mar 30 17:22:09 BST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 19:57, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I have a laptop with the wifi. Currently, each time I move it's a pain to
> connect.  I have several connection point, some with wifi, some with cable,
> and I need one minute to configure the place each time (with kwifimanger,
> ifconfig and dhcp client)
>
> (I don't have KNetworkManager yet, maybe it is already working)

These things, it's good at - isdn, modem, GPRS less so. And the VPN part
depends on Gtk applets from NetworkManager to work atm.  But we can rewrite
those, they just get config parameters for different VPN systems from the
user.

> Not to mention the fact that Kopete/Ksirc doesn't detect well I'm
> disconnected/connected
> And also the fact that i need to select the smtp in kmail everytime i send
> a mail (because i must use a different smtp server depending where i am)
>

> So i see things like that.
> Only one application to manage network. Wifi and cable.
> So kwifimanager should probably be included in knetwork manager.

Things like traffic aren't well handled by NM but there is pressure to add
those.

> But also some API (part of Solid ?) so application can know the network
> used (KMail may have an option to use a different smtp server depending the
> network. Kopete may reconnect automatically when we are connected again,
> ...)

For Solid, I'm making most of knetworkmanager a lib, which will give apps
access to this info - so for example SMTP selection, also 'only connect to
work IRC when the VPN is up', and status checking/notification as currently
provided by kded_networkstatus.

Will