Discontinuing kcmwifi for wpa_supplicant, what about knetworkmanager?

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Mar 29 18:57:56 BST 2006

Hello.

IMO, a "network manager" is a really important thing that KDE need, and I hope
KDE4 will provide it.

First, here are my personal need:

I have a laptop with the wifi. Currently, each time I move it's a pain to
connect.  I have several connection point, some with wifi, some with cable,
and I need one minute to configure the place each time (with kwifimanger,
ifconfig and dhcp client)

(I don't have KNetworkManager yet, maybe it is already working)

Not to mention the fact that Kopete/Ksirc doesn't detect well I'm
disconnected/connected
And also the fact that i need to select the smtp in kmail everytime i send a
mail (because i must use a different smtp server depending where i am)

So i see things like that.
Only one application to manage network. Wifi and cable.
So kwifimanager should probably be included in knetwork manager.

But also some API (part of Solid ?) so application can know the network used
(KMail may have an option to use a different smtp server depending the
network. Kopete may reconnect automatically when we are connected again, ...)

This is just my 2 cent. Thanks.

Note: KWifiManager/kcmwifi is already a great program.

--
Olivier (aka Gof)