Running kde4 applications in the kde3 desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Mar 27 09:37:24 BST 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 13:13, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >This sounds like a good idea to me; although it's not only the version
> > that differs in there, but in fact the value of KDEDIRS (the .desktop
> > files being used in that cache come from different prefixes). Somehow
> > there should be one ksycoca cache per value of KDEDIRS being used....
>
> Do you mean the cache should be saved in those dirs?
No, but that somehow there should be one cache per used value of KDEDIRS.
Since putting the value of KDEDIRS into the name of the file might lead to
something awfully long, maybe there could be something like a ksycocarc with
[/opt/kde3]
FileName=ksycoca1
[/devel/kde/inst/kofficedir:/devel/kde/inst/kde3]   # my value of KDEDIRS
FileName=ksycoca2
[...]
etc.

This way, for a given value of KDEDIRS, the code can easily lookup the ksycoca to
use, and two sessions of KDE with different parameters will stop overwriting
each other's ksycoca. Am I missing anything?

> On the other hand, the cache wouldn't be merged yet. The merging of
> information would happen in a higher level.
That's another solution, but it leads to all sorts of updating problems (where
installing a binary package, as administrator, must run a command that updates
the system-wide ksycoca)...