Running kde4 applications in the kde3 desktop

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Mar 25 13:37:59 GMT 2006

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>On Friday 24 March 2006 20:32, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Olivier Goffart wrote:
>> >But this is IMO a severe problem that need to be fixed.
>>
>> We will drop DCOP support in KDE4 before we release it.
>>
>> As for ksycoca, there is no solution. Your KDE 3 apps and your KDE 4
>> apps cannot share the database. You must set up separate KDEHOME and
>> KDEVARTMP.
>
>What's the exact reason that makes it impossible to have KDE 4 apps run
> nicely on a KDE 3 desktop now? It's annoying to have to use several
> magic variables, separate users or whatever to be able to develop KDE 4
> apps.

Well, I'd guess it's the fact that we haven't done that assessment yet.

So we're overwriting the sycoca database with a new and probably
incompatible version. It's the same issue you face every time you upgrade
KDE: the sycoca database version changes. You mustn't downgrade KDE after
you upgrade it.

But for KDE 4, I guess we'll have to put some effort into ensuring both
worlds still work. I don't have much hopes for both worlds communicating
with each other, though.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway