kdebase + kdelibs head

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 21 18:33:33 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 09:46, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:51, David Faure wrote:
> > But I think that once we have a big change ready in snapshot, we can
> > just decide to go ahead and update the snapshot. Shall I do that?
>
> as long as these big changes don't happen every few days ;) i think it
> would be a nice way to help keep up the pace of porting the non-lib modules
> while not discouraging people from following trunk/kdelibs ...

apparently my pre-caffeine brain spews out undecipherable gibberage. let me
try again:

for those of us who don't have the disk space or time (i lack both on my
laptop, to be honest, as i already have 3 kde installations on it, 2 of which
are from source), we are left with a choice between kdelibs_snapshot and
trunk/kdelibs. for those of us working on library issues, it's really not a
choice: trunk/kdelibs is the only way to do that. we should also try and get
as many "core" people working on trunk/kdelibs as possible.

but that leaves us with the inability to work on applications. this isn't a
problem for most application development, but the apps i tend to work on the
most live in kdebase these days.

is it possible that those who work on kdebase are more likely to also follow
trunk/kdelibs as well? kdelibs+kdebase are sort of the foundational parts of
kde anyways and in that sense "go together". and doesn't it make more sense
to have actual applications to test trunk/kdelibs against?

what i'd suggest is that we either need to keep kdelibs_snapshot up to date
with larger changes made in trunk/kdelibs so that we can port kdebase more
aggressively or (and the more i think about it, the more i like this
option: ) do a kdebase_snapshot along with kdelibs_snapshot which is meant to
be primarily read-only.

this way we can work on trunk/kdebase in tandem with kdelibs which gives us:

 - more developers on trunk/kdelibs without imposing more hassles for them
 - applications to test against trunk/kdelibs
 - the ability to more rapidly evolve kdebase as it can change in tandem with
kdelibs, which is very uncomfortable to do right now

of course, in kdelibs_snapshot is going away in a couple of weeks (which i
actually don't see happening) then this is a moot point. but if _snapshot is
here for a month or more i'd really like to see a refinement of our current
methods here.

hopefully that's more understandable than my 3 line bit of cyphertext from
earlier in the morning ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo