Restricted feature-unfreeze for 3.5.3

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 20 18:07:20 GMT 2006

David Jarvie wrote:
>On Monday 20 March 2006 17:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>Is that feature ready to be commited? We don't want people to start
>>developing new features against the branch.
>
>Given the length of time until KDE 4 is released, and also given the
> state of flux which the libraries are still in (and new library APIs
> not yet available), I don't think that your desire is realistic. I for
> one don't intend to let my project (kalarm) sit apparently idle for a
> year, and hope to issue at least one new feature release before KDE 4
> comes out (which will of course be a standalone release due to the
> feature freeze in svn branch). Even if I were to develop the new
> features initially for KDE 4, I would want to backport them to KDE 3 in
> any case, since there will no doubt be many people still running KDE 3
> for some time after KDE 4 is released. So for me it makes sense to
> develop under KDE 3 and then port to KDE 4 afterwards.
>
>I have been putting some effort also into library development for KDE 4,
> but for now, I'd rather do application development under KDE 3.

Well, we're not asking people not to develop their projects.

We are asking people to put effort into KDE 4, if possible.

And we're letting people know that KDE 3.5.x is still feature-frozen. So,
you can release kalarm separately with the new features, but I don't
think they'll be in KDE 3.5.3 or 3.5.4 or whichever.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway