Restricted feature-unfreeze for 3.5.3

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Mon Mar 20 18:12:53 GMT 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 17:20, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>Is that feature ready to be commited? We don't want people to start
>developing new features against the branch.

Given the length of time until KDE 4 is released, and also given the state of flux
which the libraries are still in (and new library APIs not yet available), I don't
think that your desire is realistic. I for one don't intend to let my project (kalarm)
sit apparently idle for a year, and hope to issue at least one new feature release
before KDE 4 comes out (which will of course be a standalone release due to the
feature freeze in svn branch). Even if I were to develop the new features initially
for KDE 4, I would want to backport them to KDE 3 in any case, since there will no
doubt be many people still running KDE 3 for some time after KDE 4 is released. So for
me it makes sense to develop under KDE 3 and then port to KDE 4 afterwards.

I have been putting some effort also into library development for KDE 4, but for now,
I'd rather do application development under KDE 3.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.