KDE4 Development Critical Path

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Mar 15 23:17:17 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 10:40, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> So, please fill in the list: what are the critical KDE 4 frameworks that
> we'll need for our TPR?

There is Akonadi [1], the PIM Storage Service for KDE 4, in particular KDE PIM
4 (obviously ;-). Our (very) tentative roadmap [2] says that we want to be
feature complete in Q4 2006. This might correspond well with an October
technical preview.

Akonadi is supposed to replace kresources and need big adaptions in libkabc.
It also might bring (at least parts) of libkcal to kdelibs, so that all KDE
applications have access to calendar data and could also involve access to
mails, if we get around to actually implement it on a level suitable for
kdelibs.

This is an ambitious project, but the KDE PIM developers feel that it is
essential for the future of the KDE PIM applications. If we manage to get
this off the ground it has the potential to make access to PIM data more
simple and robust on one side and make it possible to implement a lot of
interesting and useful improvements to the way applications handle PIM data,
not only the ones from the kdepim module, but all other applications on the
desktop as well.

[1] http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
[2] http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/roadmap.php