country names translations

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Mar 15 18:15:01 GMT 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 02:54, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 March 2006 19:07, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >> For KDE3, you surely can prepend "Name=" to the string and remove that
> >> name later after the translation is returned.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I was thinking about.
>
> There's little problem with that: currently in xorg 6.8.2 and earlier
> the name for layout would be "Ukrainian" but in xorg 6.9.0 and later
> it'd be "Ukraine"
> And I don't think doing this something like the code below is acceptable:
> if( xorgVersion >= 690 )
>     translation = i18n( layoutName.prepend("Name=") ).remove("Name=");
> else
>     translation = i18n( layoutName );

// Get translation
translation = i18n( layoutName );
if ( translation == layoutName )
{
  // Not translated? Try harder with a country name:
  translation = i18n( layoutName.prepend("Name=") ).remove("Name=");
}

> I'd rather create new *.po file with country names extracted from
> kdebase_deskto.po and then insertCatalog() it leaving all i18n code as
> it is now.

The translators would not welcome again a PO file with country names. (There
are already many PO files containing some country names.)

> It'll be cleaner and faster solution.

I do not think so.

Have a nice day!