The Technical Working Group's mission statement

R.F. Pels ruurd at tiscali.nl
Wed Mar 15 15:28:32 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 01.52, Matt Rogers wrote:

> Please feel free to start coding it yourself then. None of us who work on
> kdevelop have enough time for that. :(

Which makes me very wary about how long it will actually take. I'm afraid that
this answer implies that even when KDE4 is out it will take considerable time
for cmake support in kdevelop to materialize. If that happens we're going to
end up in a situation where kdevelop users are going to end up in a position
where kdevelop simply lacks a project manager for cmake projects while they
are unable to use automake projects because KDE4 does not support that
buildsystem anymore.

Let me reiterate and please enlighten me if I'm wrong here:

- cmake has support for parallel compilation
- cmake maintainers are actively supporting in making cmake the
  KDE4 buildsystem
- cmake can generate kdevelop project files
- cmake documentation seems to me as flimsy at best
- there is no widespread cmake experience under KDE developers
- there is rudimentary support for cmake in kdevelop
- there is no project manager in kdevelop that works with cmake and
  can roughly do the same as the automake based project manager
- there are zero project templates for cmake in kdevelop geared towards
  Qt and/or KDE projects
- kdevelop maintainers do not have time to add reasonable cmake support
  in short notice
- if I want to use kdevelop to port a KDE application to KDE4 I need
  to use cmake because there is no automake support in KDE4 anymore
- without something like a project manager kdevelop reduces to a
  plain code editing environment
- without some handholding, new KDE developers need to climb the
  cmake learning curve, which might be not so difficult for those
  accustomed to automake or qmake or similar, but can be quite
  daunting for those accustomed to using a project manager such as
  in Visual Whatever for example.

--
R.F. Pels,  3e Rompert 118,  5233 AL  's-Hertogenbosch,  The Netherlands
+31736414590        ruurd at tiscali.nl       http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd