The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Wed Mar 15 09:51:19 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 03:40, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 10:50, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > >
> > > NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
> > >
> > > (/me hates autotools)
> >
> > Actually, I've not been too thrilled with the build toolchain change.
> >
> > I'd still prefer the devil I know, but I hope this issue is resolved
> > one way or another soon.
>
> Well I don't know how much longer I can stand using the autosuck
> myself...
>
> It gets more and more annoying as my free time grows less and less.

Well, maybe I'd be less worried if I knew how to do common tasks...
I installed cmake yesterday, and I'll have to study it, if it's what we'll
use in the end, and I have done very little experiments with it --
basically, I tried the suggestions in the readme.

Specifically, I'm interested in these issues:
* How do I build in a builddir != srcdir setup?
* how do I configure the build - with auto* I could change the installation
  prefix, I can disable features or provide non-standard library paths.
* How good is cmake when it comes to packaging the binaries for
  distribution? ccmake does not seem right for the task.
* How do I override the default compilation environment -- yes, this is
  probably not interesting to most developers, but it could be for those
  wanting to build KDE for systems not fast enough to build KDE in
  reasonable time.

Probably each of the above point has a simple answer - I'd be glad if my
worries were unjustified.

Luciano
--
Łŭčīåñø Montanaro //