kxml_compiler in the kdepim trunk build causing problems

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Wed Mar 15 09:10:31 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 23:13, Allen Winter wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> During the kdepim trunk build process, kxml_compiler is run in
> kresources/featureplan to generate C++ code from a RelaxNG schema XML file.
>    I build kdepim trunk as my regular user with my normal KDE3 desktop.
>
> Basically, when kxml_compiler trunk runs in my KDE3 desktop it screws
> things up so badly that klauncher dies, DCOP can no longer be contacted,
> etc.   Then I have logout, clean up /var/tmp/ksycocoa* in a virtual
> terminal, and then log back in.

I agree, I also have this problem. It's annoying. I use a different user when
actually _running_ apps from trunk, but not when working on trunk code,
compiling it or running unit tests.

> Note that kconfig_compiler is harmless when doing similar things in the
> kdelibs4_snapshot build.
>
> So what needs to be done in
> trunk/kdepim/kode/kxml_compiler/kxml_compiler.cpp  to make kxml_compiler
> harmless to my KDE3 desktop environment??

I think the key difference is that kconfig_compiler is a QCoreApplication and
kxml_compiler is a KApplication. I had the ksycoca problem as well when I
created a test app which used KApplication to make signal/slots work.
I suggest to use QCoreApplication for kxml_compiler.

Regards,

Frank