The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 18:53:07 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 19:04, R.F. Pels wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 18.16, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> >> No kdevelop support for cmake, then, no cmake.
> >
> > Do you really think that
> > a) scons/bksys has kdevelop support?
>
> As they are not in the list of possibilities, the answer does not matter.
> In fact, I would oppose choosing for scons because:
>
> 1) it is not properly supported - or that is the impression I get from
> 2) it does not support parallel compilation.
>
> > b) it's too hard to implement - cmake is supporting msvc6 dsp and the
> > newer vcproj - projects and you really think there is no way to get it
> > working with kdevelop4?
>
> It is not important if I think that it CAN be done. I think it is important
> that it SHOULD be done BEFORE deciding on a build system.

It is even more important that it HAS been done already.
You can *right now*, check  out kdelibs trunk, run cmake with -GKDevelop3, and
have kdevelop projects e.g. for kdecore, kdeui, etc.
IOW you can right now start developing kdelibs 4 with kdevelop.

cmake comes with a project file generator for kdevelop.
kdevelop doesn't have a cmake file parser/editor (except the text editor with
features cmake syntax highlighting) yet.

Bye
Alex