The Technical Working Group's mission statement

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 14:07:37 GMT 2006

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>as to 'the procedure' i suppose you are referring to the procedure as to
> how the decision was made? to be honest, i have no idea how the
> decision was made: i skipped 99% of the build system threads because
> they bore me to tears and i trust others have a handle on it (given the
> length of the threads, i should hope so ;).

I thought it was pretty clear to anyone involved in the buildsystem that
cmake is our only option here. And, just so that it is clear: this was no
TWG decision. It's a simple situation that stems from fact that cmake is
being actively worked on and no other system is.

This has been being discussed for many months now in
kde-buildsystem at kde.org. Sometime ago, we realised that scons wasn't
going forward at the speed we wanted it to. And we had no support from
the scons developers. And to top all that, Thomas Nagy, the developer
working on it, suddenly found himself without the time or Internet
connection to continue the work.

scons support died then.

Back in aKademy, in Málaga, we decided that we wanted something new, to
drop autoconf + automake + unsermake + libtool + am_edit. People have
objections to autoconf syntax; we have real issues using libtool.

So, from the alternatives:
1) stay as it is
2) scons/bksys
3) cmake
two are out.

Is there really any doubt which system we'll use for KDE 4? Add to the
equation that we need a buildsystem working  *real* *soon*. We can't
develop KDE if we can't build it.

Unless, of course, we go back on our decision from Málaga and say, "ok,
we'll keep using autotools for KDE 4.0".

PS: the "procedure" was the removal of Scons files and deprecation of the
auto* ones.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."