move Phonon to trunk kdelibs (another branch to merge)

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 13:35:40 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 05:51, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as the main parts of Phonon are pretty much in shape by now I'd like to
> move it to trunk kdelibs. The most important frontend classes have apidox
> (with more to come, of course) and are useable for writing simple media
> players (more than enough for JuK in any case). There are also unit tests
> for the classes necessary for audio playback (more to come here, as well).
>
> Development of a backend using NMM is in the works and I'm hoping for more
> people to step up and write backends for other frameworks (like Allan, who
> wanted to look into xinelib (http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1721)).
>
> The code can currently be found in branches/work/kdelibs-phonon/phonon.
>
> PS: In case you don't know what I'm talking about:
> http://vir.homelinux.org/blog/index.php?/categories/2-Phonon

Questions abound. :)

- How much does support of mulitple audio devices rely on the backend? For
example, there are Kopete users who have multiple sound cards and want to be
able to select which sound card does the recording/playback of the voice
chat.

- Are APIDOX the only documentation available? I haven't looked at them to see
how complete they are, but a little tutorial that shows how do to simple
things with the Phonon API would be nice to have.

- How well are video devices supported? Kopete is considering a complete
switch to Phonon for all of it's audio/video needs and so this is important
to us. Is this backend dependant?

Thanks, and nice work. :)
--
Matt