KDE4 Development Critical Path

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Mar 14 10:07:17 GMT 2006

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>On Tuesday 14 March 2006 10:40, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> - Buildsystem: in order to build KDE (duh :-P)
>> - Phonon: the new multimedia framework for KDE4
>> - Solid: the new hardware abstraction framework
>> - D-Bus: replace DCOP with D-Bus throughout KDE code
>
>Speaking as a KOffice hacker, I couldn't care less about Phonon or
> Solid, but d-bus is one of the first things I need. And I'm not sure
> what's going to happen to kparts, but we cannot even think of starting
> to port KOffice without working parts. Same with whatever is going to
> happen kxmlgui. So my list would be:
>
>build system
>parts
>kxmlgui
>d-bus

Please elaborate on what needs to be done for KParts and KXMLGUI. AFAIK,
nobody has ever suggested rewriting them from the scratch.

This list I asked is not of features that need to be there, but of
features that still need to be *developed*. I can understand that there
is some work required on KParts to bugfix it, but is it so much work that
it's close to a major overhauling?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."