Consideration requested for merging of kdelibs-action branch

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Mon Mar 13 03:04:04 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 03:32, you wrote:
> Hamish Rodda wrote:
> >To test the branch, you'll need a qt-copy with patches 0113, 0115, 0116,
> > and 0119 (the last in patches/notsafe) applied.  Checkout
> >branches/work/kdelibs-action + build with unsermake.  Then with a
> > checkout of kdebase, svn switch both libkonq and konqueror over to the
> > respective subdirs of branches/work/kdebase-action/.  You'll have to
> > remove DONTPORT from include/kdeversion.h to bypass the configure
> > check.  Compile + enjoy.
> >
> >Patch 0119 deserves special mention because it provides the mechanism by
> > which custom widgets are inserted into a toolbar.  Although Simon
> > Hausmann + I have discussed the principle behind it, I haven't heard
> > whether it's a likely candidate for Qt 4.2.  Without it, this branch
> > would be severely crippled; however, I don't anticipate that there will
> > be substantial issues having it applied for 4.2.
>
> I'll send another email about this, but Trolltech is aware that there are
> many features that need to be in Qt 4.2 for KDE to function properly
> without crude hacks or patching Qt. We'll do our best to include them in
> 4.2.
>
> The only problem I see so far is that some of your patches are quite big.
> Trolltech cannot accept large patches for various legal reasons. I did
> not, however, take a look at what you were changing -- just the size of
> the patch. It may be that the patch is actually simple and there aren't
> many different ways to implement the functionality.

I believe that 0113, 0115 and 0116 are already in 4.2.

0119 is something that I had been waiting for a while, but I decided to write
it myself because 1) it was much less effort than hacking around in KDE and
2) I wanted my branch to get merged sooner rather than later.  Other than the
approach taken by 0119 (which was not something I arrived at by myself), I
consider it to be a trivial amount of work.

Cheers,
Hamish.