KDE/kdelibs/kdeui

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Mar 11 15:34:21 GMT 2006

Peter Kümmel wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>> my problem was that kdemacros.h does not include qglobal.h so all
>>> all the qt macros are unknown and the disabling in case of msvc
>>> does not work:
>>
>> It should include QtCore/qglobal.h.
>
>Including qglobal.h was not a good idea of me, it's not necessary
>when we don't test on qt macros.

Why shouldn't we include qglobal.h?

Is there any place where KDE code is valid without Qt code? Maybe KJS and
KHTML...

>Yes, this is a good idea, and should solve all the problems.
>(but it's not possible to remove all deprecated functions,
>like it could be done with Brad's approach)

That's true. But I'd rather have it #ifdef'ed, so that those functions can
be inlined too. His approach wouldn't allow for that unless we created a
second macro that took the function's body... and static/inline.

Compat functions shouldn't ever be virtual.

>Moving to this code as following implications
>(with the currebt svn code):
>
>- deprecated warning are disabled by default

Yes, which may be a good thing. Consider that building the deprecated
functions and deprecated classes sometimes causes warnings.

>- when enabling gcc has no problems, but msvc build is broken
>  but a soft migration is still possible (by disabling)
>
>Sometimes we could enable the warnings by default, at least in kdelibs.

As I said, developers should use them. Maybe we should enable by default
in debug mode?

Which means gcc 3.3 users need a switch to use debug mode and no warnings.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.