What to do about SSL strength

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Mar 9 15:20:25 GMT 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 04:07, George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 10:04, Henry Miller wrote:

> > Nothing should be done until we check with Mozilla, Apple, and Opera.
>
>   I'm sitting in a room with developers of 2 of the three you list there at
> the moment so I'll ask around.
>
> > The right solution is for everyone to support 168 bit encryption.
>
>    That's not a solution.  The solution is something which makes Konqueror
> work with the sites that don't support newer ciphers properly.  What you
> propose is that the problem go away. :-)

Not exactly, but that is the hope.   If Mozilla will soon run into the same
problem we are having, and they are willing to force the issue, the problem
will go away.   When 10% of a websites customers have problems, the web site
with fix things - look at how much better the web has got since firefox
became common.    So if they are willing to force the issue, we should follow
your second plan - do nothing about sites that are broke in this way, they
will fix themselves.

If nobody else is willing to force this issue, then konqueror is not big
enough to force the issue, so we will have to disable support for better
encryption as a work around for those sites.