DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 06:19:37 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 23:58, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 17:44, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > On Monday 06 March 2006 12:41, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > On Sunday 05 March 2006 22:53, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> > Most important of all, is to realise that just _creating the file_ grants
> > you copyright (this is called 'The principle of "automatic "
> > protection').  The copyright notice may in some jurisdictions grant you
> > _additional rights_ and help you claim damages, but not having it does
> > not mean you forfeit your right of authorship.
> > That said, since the notice may grant you additional protection, it's
> > important to do it properly.  Specifically, beware that (c) (that is a c,
> > in either case, inside parentheses) means nothing; either write
> > "Copyright" out in full and/or (preferably and) use a real copyright
> > symbol ©
> >
> > So the format is simply this:
> >
> > © Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Your Name(s)
>
> or
> Copyright (c) 2000-2002,2006 Your Name(s) ??

No, read up - (c) does not mean anything at all.

> For our purposes, could we also require email addresses?
> An email address might help find the author years after they have left the
> project. I know it has helped me find a few people from years back.

We could, for our own purposes, it's definitely helpful further down the road.
It's also important to use real names, not internet aliases.  People change
aliases, but not so much their real names.
> How about:
>  © Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name <user at domain>
> or
> Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name <user at domain>
>
> And also require that each copyright holder has a copyright on a line by
> itself? Thus we can have different copyright years for each copyright
> holder.

Yes, that's normally how it's done, where different authors have different
sets of years.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts