DRAFT document on coding conventions in kde libraries

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Mar 8 22:58:30 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 17:44, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Monday 06 March 2006 12:41, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 March 2006 22:53, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Am Sonntag, 5. März 2006 18:38, schrieb Olivier Goffart:
> >

> > > Are pointers sufficient like "See File xy for authors, copyright and
> > > licence" or should there be a complete documentation of all authors
> > > and the
> > > licence (although they might be fetchable from the repository system)?
> >
> > Basic copyright and license information *must* be in the same file or some
> > "attacker" could (pseudo-)naively tell: "I did not know".
>
> This is a myth actually, albeit a widespread one.  Copyright is not license,
> and "I did not know" is no defence at all if it comes to the law.  Unless
> something specifically says it's public domain, or it has come into the
> public domain by virtue of being older than the prescribed number of years
> (and we're quite many years from any parts of KDE hitting that limit) , it is
> _always_ copyright someone, even if we don't always know who that someone is
> or how to reach them.
>
> > > And what sense
> > > make the notion of the year span at all, when to update?
> >
> > Year spans (e.g. 1996-2004) are problematic, as far as I have understood,
> > and listing each year has to be prefered.
>
> The years are "year of first publication".  Each change, when distributed,
> therefore should be added (because newly added code is being 'published' for
> the first time.)
>
> So, you list each year a change was made, and may abbreviate that to a span if
> multiple consecutive years are included.
>
> e.g. File was change din 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006 (unlikely, but possible)
> You could put "2000-2002,2006"
>
> Most important of all, is to realise that just _creating the file_ grants you
> copyright (this is called 'The principle of "automatic " protection').  The
> copyright notice may in some jurisdictions grant you _additional rights_ and
> help you claim damages, but not having it does not mean you forfeit your
> right of authorship.
> That said, since the notice may grant you additional protection, it's
> important to do it properly.  Specifically, beware that (c) (that is a c, in
> either case, inside parentheses) means nothing; either write "Copyright" out
> in full and/or (preferably and) use a real copyright symbol ©
>
> So the format is simply this:
>
> © Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Your Name(s)

or
Copyright (c) 2000-2002,2006 Your Name(s) ??

For our purposes, could we also require email addresses?
An email address might help find the author years after they have left the project.
I know it has helped me find a few people from years back.

How about:
 © Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name <user at domain>
or
Copyright 2000-2002,2006 Name <user at domain>

And also require that each copyright holder has a copyright on a line by itself?
Thus we can have different copyright years for each copyright holder.

--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE