KAutoStart

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 7 13:05:23 GMT 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 05:29, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 04 March 2006 14:12, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >   The class seems like an overkill to me,
>
> see my reply to thiago on this.
>
> >   I don't see any point in having
> > API that directly maps to the .desktop file.
>
> it doesn't actually map directly to the .desktop file but rather the
> concepts that our autostart system works with.

 Which incidentally map directly to the .desktop files :) ?

> > What's wrong with
> >  "KAutoStart::enable( bool )" ? It does everything you need and it knows
> >  everything it needs to know
>
> no, actually, it doesn't. =)
>
> >  (and in the hypothetical case that ksmserver
> > one day gets support for RestartAnyway it'd also allow simple switching
> > to that
>
> this is the hope with an API mechanism for this: if app devs actually use
> the API rather than hand-hack .desktop files, and if that same API is used
> by kinit and apps then we can upgrade "in place" ... huzzah.

 I don't think so. If we even change the autostart system then the concept
will at least partially change too - why change at all otherwise? Given that
the whole autostart concept conflicts with sessions in many places, one
possible option might be dumping autostart and using only sessions, possibly
fixing/extending what needs it - your class in such case would be completely
useless anyway.

> btw, i see that you are looking to deprecate start-after and extend the
> init phases? if so ... what are the "phases" actually? numbers don't say
> anything to me other than provide an ordinal to sort by ;)

 0 - very basic desktop (kdesktop,kicker)
 1 - basic desktop stuff that should be ready soon (klipper,khotkeys,...)
 2 - stuff that can wait (ktip, all monitors and other systray nonsense)

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org